Friday, March 19, 2010

Confrontation

The sound of my heavy footsteps echoed through the silence of the deserted alleyway. "Home is only a few blocks away," I thought as I raced through the heavy darkness of the night. I was running through a dark alleyway lit only by a distant streetlight, causing eerie shadows to fan back and forth across the bare brick walls either side of me. I was panting hard, noticing the cloud of smoke exiting my mouth with each exhalation. "C'mon you can do this," I kept repeating to myself but the pain in my right side continued to grow.
Suddenly I felt myself thrown to the ground, though I was not sure by what. Gripped by fear and unable to move I kept my face to the gound, sweat dripping slowly into the muddy puddle only inches away from my face. My mind was racing. Whatever had thrown me to the ground was there, I could hear it but was frozen stiff, unable to look. I didn't want to look.
After some time spent lying face down on the cold concrete, I mustered the courage to turn over to face my opposer. As fast as I could I jumped to my feet and swivelled around on the spot, "HA!" I shouted with my arms up ready to fight. But it was gone. I looked up and down the dark and empty alley.. nothing. My enemy had left. I had finally confronted it.

1 comment: