Sunday, August 14, 2011

Her

We seemed to walk on and on, her swift steps slowing to a trudge like drag. "It's ok little one, won't be long now," she whispered softly. As the sun began to fade and twilight lit the sparse expanse, my insides were burning with hunger and I decided to tell her so. I began to wail as desperately as my malnourished frame would allow and suddenly my soft resting place began jolting and knocking, turning from a safe place into a frantic and dangerous one. "Shhh," she pleaded as she jostled me up and down. "Please shhh."
Suddenly she stopped and I was pulled forcefully out into the cold, wet air. Putting me into a dark corner, inside an old wooden shed that smelt of animal waste, she covered me with a mound of dry hay and ran outside locking the door behind her.
They say me mum was not someone born of noble wealth, infact she was born into one of the poorest families in all of England. Her life began not unlike mine, the big difference was she was recognised as part of a family but one that did not really recognise her.

1 comment: