Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Village

It saddens me that the society in which we live has somewhat done away with the concept of it, "taking a village to raise a child." Instead we have turned inwards to become quite self-centered individuals flying life solo and doing whatever it takes to become "happy."
I have been reflecting on this for the last week and appreciating more and more the many people who play a defining role in my girl's lives. From my family and Chris' family to our church family and many others whom will become role models (good or bad) in their lives. I am so thankful for the great big family we are part of in Christ and for the love and acceptance shown to our little family in amongst that.
My mum and dad are also amazing people who have a great gift for loving people without judgement. This can be seen on any one day when our house will be bustling with my three younger siblings, the neighbourhood kids, friends' kids (whose parents needed a break) and our little two all running around the safe little haven that is my parent's home. Whilst a tad crazy, I thoroughly enjoy seeing Inda being swept up into whatever game is going on and having a brilliant time. She is accepted and loved and I cherish that and look forward to Noa being swept up into the same craziness.

So, after all that, my conclusion is, that it really does take a village to raise a child and I am very thankful for my very chaotic but comfortable village.


Everyone minus my mum who is ironically taking the picture.


My beautiful mama with Noa

1 comment: